Get social on social media

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Welcome to my blog

I think being a writer is the greatest thing you can be. Being able to put words into a paragraph that can make a person laugh out loud, think differently about a subject, care about something they didn't care about the day before, or shed a tear, is the most powerful gift a person can have.

I've always been a writer. Even as a child I wrote stories, poems and songs. I even kept a diary, religiously. I wrote everything in that diary. (They were all eventually burnt.) My mother told me only a woman would be silly enough to write all her thoughts and the personal details of her life down in a book where someone else can find it and use it against her. She said men would never do that. She didn't like diaries but that didn't stop her from reading mine and using it against me.

Over the years, I've had people tell me that I should write novels. I always thought I would someday, if I ever get around to it. That's the beauty of social media. Through Facebook and Twitter I can send out small clips of my daily thoughts to friends and followers and get instant feedback. After about a year I have to admit it's becoming a little boring. A friend recommended I start a blog. But I thought what would I possibly blog about every day. Plus I would have the pressure of coming up with a new idea every day.

After some thought, I decided a blog could be exactly what I'm looking for. It gives me a little more space than Facebook and Twitter. I can still get the instant feedback and may even be the start of my first novel.

So this is the blog. It's called." I'm funny like that" and I think that describes my personality on many levels. So I'm not trying to change the world. I'm just trying to make you laugh out loud. I'm not a celebrity. I'm just a normal person but I still have an interesting life and you do to. Hopefully you'll see some similarities in our lives and you'll laugh out loud and maybe you'll find out that you're funny like that to.

Helen