Get social on social media

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I am losing my mind!

I don't know if it's old age or early Alzheimer’s, but I can't hold a thought for more than a second anymore.

I can't tell you how many times I've sat down to write a blog about this and then forget to do it!

If you run into me in a store somewhere don't just start talking to me. Tell me your name first because 9 out of 10 times I won't be able to remember who you are and where you fit into my life. My husband and I now have a system . . . If we are out anywhere and somebody approaches me like they know me and I don't introduce him within 30 seconds, he'll introduce himself and say "and you are?"

Don't assume because you just told me your name that my brain retained that information because chances are it hasn't and I may have to ask you your name three or four times before I actually capture it.

Don't be insulted by it. When I got married, I forgot my husband's name. When the Reverend asked me to repeat the Vows, I said "I Robert take you Helen." So technically I married myself. The Reverend didn't correct me, I didn't remember saying it and hubby swears he's a single guy!

I also lie to people and tell them English is not my first language because lately I ain't got no grammar either! I forget how to spell words like "the," I constantly question the simplest of grammar rules and I can't pronounce anything with more than two syllables. It's getting to the point that even Spell Check can't figure out what I am trying to say. In my quest a few seconds ago to spell "syllables" it came up with "collywobbles." Yes apparently collywobbles is a word! Don't ask me what it means.

I read an article on-line that said there are homeopathic drugs that you can buy over the counter that help improve your memory. I went to Lawton's and Shoppers Drug Mart looking for them. Both times I came out with a magazine and shampoo because I forgot what I went there for. But I have lots of shampoo and great magazines in my bathroom.

I started setting alarms on my cell phone to remind me to pick up my children at school and other events. If I don't do that, I don't remember to pick them up! And don't ask me what day it is because I am more likely to tell you it's 1998 than 2013. I never know what day of the week it is. And if you're talking for more than 30 seconds chances are I am somewhere completely different in my head and
you're sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher to me because all I hear is "Wha, wha, wha, wha." I have no focus at all.

It's also not unusual to find the Cheerio's in the fridge or the milk in the cupboard in my house. I can never find my glasses even though there are about 20 pairs of them around my house. I can never remember if I locked the door or turned the stove off. Or if the light I just drove through was red or green.

I am turning 50 this year. Which I don't consider old age either. So maybe that's got something to do with it.

Now there are some things and people that I am happy to forget, but there are some things and people that I'd like to remember; like my kids, my wedding anniversary, the date Christmas Day falls on each year.

Now I can't remember what I was talking about. I've lost my train of thought. I don't know if I am losing my mind or my memory. I guess you can all take your pick.